Call for Artists
OPEN CALL FOR ARTISTS
Project Location: 180 River Drive, Jersey City, New Jersey
Description: This is an open call for artists to design and execute a feature wall piece in the approximate dimensions of 15 feet long by 4 feet high (one or multiple pieces to make up the length of these dimensions). The feature piece is for the interior of the ground floor lobby of a multifamily apartment building located on the waterfront in the Newport section of Jersey City, New Jersey.
This call is open to all local artists residing or working in Jersey City.
The selected artist will be awarded a $12,000 stipend upon the completion of the feature piece(s) as well as art supplies (not to exceed $500). All other supplies are the responsibility of the artist.
Proposal selection will be conducted by representatives of the owners of the property in coordination with the Jersey City cultural community.
Design Theme: Named “The Beach”, the building’s design is a reflection of the adjacent Hudson River and Newport Green Park Beach. The building’s exterior design is composed of a cool palate of precast concrete, glass and tones of gray metal. Accent balconies on the main tower form a zigzag wave like impression complete with almost tropical looking blue railing glass. The interior design of the building uses natural marble and granite on the floors with wood and brass accents on the walls. Renderings of the building can be found in the attachment. Strong consideration will be given to designs which thoughtfully reflect and accentuate the design elements of the building and its surrounding environment.
• Demonstrated ability and technical knowledge required to execute a piece of significant scale
• Prior experience; must have at least 10 works of significant scale
• Artist must execute the design within three weeks of the project start date
• Executed work must be true to submitted concept design
• Final piece is required to be in place no later than April 28th, 2021
• Artistic excellence
• Coherent composition
• Unique design and high visual impact
• Content appropriate for all audiences
• Strength to which proposal conveys design theme
• 5 finalists will be selected from which the ultimate winner will be chosen
• All 5 finalists will each receive an honorarium of $250
How to Apply:
Submit the following items:
• Proposal Statement
• Digital concept design for the project
• Artist Statement
• Five (5) images of your largest completed solo works
Submit in a single PDF less than 10MB to both:
Deadline to Apply:
Please submit all required documentation no later than
Friday February 19th, 2021, by 5pm.
Late submissions will not be considered.